Ouch … the website needs a serious update, and the blog some articles.
I’m not dead, but very busy indeed.
This morning one of the emails in my mailbox was from a Spanish art student who was asking for a list of five books she should purchase to improve her fundamental skills. I took a photograph of one floor of my bookcase where I keep the books I recommend to my students. I thought it might help some of you.
Click on the picture to get the full size !
From left to right:
– Some ImagineFX Magazines
– Figure Drawing For All It’s Worth / Andrew Loomis
– Creative Illustration / Andrew Loomis (Must read !)
– Digital Art Masters + Digital Painting Techniques (Thank you 3DTotal !)
– Frazetta’s sketchbook
– How to Draw (Don’t get fooled by the title, it’s a book about technical drawings. Vehicles and architectures. Recommended for concept artists !)
– ART Fundamentals (3DTotal / A really good book about fundamentals. It just talks about it all, with cool samples inside. Traditional and digital.)
– The New Artist’s Manual / Simon Jenning / Chronicle Books (Excellent book for traditional painting and drawing. An encyclopedia of tools and basic techniques !)
– Beginner’s guide to Digital Painting / 3DTotal (The title talks for itself. A good book with a bunch of good tips to start with digital painting)
– Le Roi et l’Oiseau (Art book) (Just a book I personally had to have …)
– Bloodlust (Do not buy this book, you won’t find it anyway)
– Memories of Retrocity (Buy this one !)
– Paradise Lost / Doré (Work on your values !)
– Rackham / Faery tales + Wagner’s Ring (Look at those)
– Applibot’s Artbook (Great samples of master works inside ! / Thanks Pierre !)
– Spectrum Fantastic Art Live catalogues 1 + 2 (Nice books, but really, just buy the Spectrum every year ! )
– Imaginative Realism / Gurney (No need to present that one, just read it !)
– Framed Ink / Marcos Mateu-Mestre (Excelelnt for composition and story-telling !)
– The Art of Perspective / Metzger (A great torture tool !)
– Color and Light / Gurney (Same here: a must have ! Light is everything)
– Drawing from the Imagination / 3DTotal (An amazing compilation of sketches from master artists !)
– La Technique de la Peinture a l’Huile / Xavier de Langlais (It’s about oil, and it’s in french, and deal with it !)
____ This should keep you busy 😉